Pet owners will deal with a lot to keep their furry friends. Pet hair on furniture (or clothing) and dander floating in the air can be among the most irritating downsides of sharing your home with a dog or cat. Along with those hairs and particles being scattered around your and your furniture, you can bet they’re ending up in your HVAC filter! Owning animals can affect your heating & air conditioning system.
If you own a pet, below are some tips to keep your system operating efficiently and economically:
- Replace filters monthly. If you have one or more shedding pets in the home, you should check your HVAC filter before it’s due for replacement. It’s common for it to be matted with hair, dander and other particles your pet produces to prematurely clog the filter.
- Clean your home regularly. This is the best way to avoid those filter clogs by preventing most hair and dander from reaching the filter.
- Brush your pet. The other key to controlling hair and dander is to brush it right off your pet’s body before he/she can scatter it around the home. There are brushes designed specifically for pet hair removal or you can just take your pet to the groomer every few weeks.
- Adjust your thermostat. Pets can remain safe and comfortable with a much wider temperature range than humans. It is easy to energy and money by setting your temperature as low as 65 degrees in the winter and as high as 80 degrees in the summer when only pets are home.
- Install a fence around your outdoor unit. You can help keep your pets and your condenser safe by creating a breathable barrier. Even though it is safe for pets to be around these units, restricting access will make sure your pets don’t damage the fins or chew on the wiring.
Using these tips as a part of your routine will save energy, extend the life of your system while keeping your pets safe and sound. As always, call Ken’s AC for any of your air conditioning or heating needs and check out our Facebook page here!