June is the official start of the summer season and in Texas it’s only going to get hotter. Most if not all homeowners wonder every summer how they are going to reduce their high electricity bills. We are using our air conditioning systems more and more to combat the summer heat but it doesn’t have to be a losing battle. At Ken’s AC, we have five summer tips to win the summer war:
- Use Your Thermostat Efficiently – Avoid turning your thermostat to a lower degree than normal in attempt to cool your home more quickly, it doesn’t actually work and only results in excessive cooling over time which equates to unnecessary expenses. If anything, set your thermostat as high as possible without sacrificing comfort, the smaller the difference between the indoor and outdoor temps, the lower your overall utility bill will be. Statistically, you want to raise your thermostat while you’re away and when you’re home try to hover around 78°F which is the ideal temp to save energy and reduce costs.
- Turn Thermostat Efficiency to Automatic Comfort – Invest into a programmable or WiFi Thermostat to allow you to control your home temperatures even when you’re not there. Increase or decrease temperatures when needed and let WiFi Thermostats learn your schedule and dynamically adjust.
- Use Your Ceiling Fans! – Utilize ceilings fans will allow you raise the thermostat temperature setting about 4°F with no reduction in comfort. However, remember to turn off the ceiling fans when you leave the room because ceiling fans cool people not rooms due to the wind chill effect.
- Remember to Change Out Your Filters – Make sure to regularly change them once a month to improve airflow, performance, and indoor air quality.
- Replace old air conditioning units with energy efficient systems – Replacement costs will pay themselves off in the long run when you utilize Energy Star labeled units with higher SEER ratings for up to 50% savings on utility bills.
For more savings facts and services, contact Ken’s Heating & Air Conditioning today!